| Creme brule in Paris |
| Still hard for Jessie to follow the local signs |
| After drinking our champagene we made friends with these two from Australia and Ireland |
| Instead of going to Champagene we drank it in Paris |
| Last night in Paris, we were walking around and stumbled upon the Moulin Rouge! |
We are in London! Arrived on the Eurostar (the really really fast train that goes under the English Channel) in London at 12:29GMT time, I think eight hours ahead of Pacific Standard Time. This city is massive, but awesome. One of my favorite parts has been observing the differences between here and the states. The place we are staying at is a room in someone elses flat, not an apartment. Another difference that has been fun in theory, but increadibly hard adjusting to is how the British drive. Remember here in the UK, the wheel is on the right side, and people drive on the opposite side of the road. So, when crossing every street here you look the opposite way that you normally do in the states. Fortunately there are friendly reminders at every cross walk alerting us to this difference, but still after twenty five years of looking the other way, it is weird every time I cross. Earlier I described it well to Jessie what it felt like to me each time I crossed, like crossing a major Seattle street during rush hour while turning my head away from the direction of the oncoming traffic. I know, scary right. Other than the streets, the pubs with their delicious fish and chips, hefty sized pints of ale, practically the size of me, and the incredibly entertaining to listen to British accents, especially when they swear, have all been great to experience compared to what we are used to in the states. Saw Big Ben, really is as big in person as he is in pictures. Hit up the British Musuem, which many say is the greatest collection of civilization anywhere, where we saw Cleopatra's mummy (Only 17 when she was mummified. Marc Antony really robbed the cradle on that one), and the Rosetta Stone to name a few. Tonight, tomorrow and Saturday plan on indulging in much more British pubs, seeing her Majesty's royal palace, and hopefully taking in a live English Premiere League Football (soccer back home), before...we head off to Amsterdam.
Cheers,
Nathan
Jessie here: The pub food here is amazing!! I dont normally like beer but this stuff is tasty. I am excited to see the original version of Hamlet and Alice in Wonderland tomorrow at the British National Library!
No comments:
Post a Comment